What Causes Phone & Computer Chargers to Get So Hot?

Start Reading

When you reach for a phone or laptop charger to unplug it, you might find something odd. You might feel warm or even hot when you touch the charger.

This raises concerns about the potential fire risk posed by charging your electronic devices. In that case, why do chargers overheat? Is there any risk involved?

Phone chargers use a transformer to convert alternating current to direct current. It is normal for a transformer to produce a warm surface on the charger as it operates.

Why Chargers get warm?

The crucial term is "warm." If it's hot, that's unusual for many reasons. If your aftermarket charger is faulty, switch to a genuine one.

Or, the problem could be with the charger's connection to the outlet or device's port. Clean any dirt, lint, or debris from the connections.

An incompatible charger is another possible cause of the problem. You need to check that whatever you use is compatible with the mobile device or computer.

In addition, you can make sure the charger is placed in a cool, dry area. It should be kept in a cool, dry place away from anything that could trap heat, such as a bed comforter.

A warm charger is usually not a cause for alarm. However, if a charger begins to overheat, emit an odd odor, change colors, or develop frayed wires, you should stop using.

Can it activate a fire?

Possibly. Lithium ion batteries in phones and laptops can catch fire, so don't charge them overnight if the charger overheats.

Check Out Our More Interesting Stories

Click Here